Copyright and author's rights are legal terms. The word "copyright" refers to the legal rights that authors and artists have over their literary and creative works. Books, music, art, and films, as well as computer programmes, databases, ads, and technical drawings, They are all protected by copyright registration in India. So let’s discuss why copyright registration is required for creative work.
- Legal right: In India, copyright registration gives you the legal right to sue people who break your copyright. Even though the violation has already happened, you must submit an application for registration before you may sue someone for breaching your copyright.
- Copyright registration ensures that your creative work is legal: The registration of copyright is proof that your creative work is valid. If a copyright infringement case is brought against the work, this information could be very important.
In the event that you need to file a copyright infringement action in court, filing your registration before or within 5 years after releasing your work would assist you. Your registration will provide the court with a minimum degree of evidence that your copyright is legitimate. This does not ensure that you will be successful in your copyright claim. Instead of you having to establish that you are the rightful owner of the copyright or that your work is covered by copyright, the other party will have to prove that you are not or that your work is not protected by copyright. Assuming that you own the copyright gives you an advantage in court, even though it may seem small at first.
- Statutory Damages and Advocate's Professional Fees: You may also claim statutory damages and Advocate's Professional Fees after registering. In order to be eligible for statutory damages and lawyers' fees in a copyright infringement lawsuit, the copyrighted work must be registered before the infringement begins, or within three months of publication if the work has already been published. Because copyright owners, especially independent artists, frequently find it difficult to determine and establish the amount to which an infringement has injured them, the statutory damages clause may be useful. Statutory damages for infringing uses of a work usually give you the right to get a certain amount of money in damages if they are right.
Read more other related guides: Copyright Registration: How to Copyright Your Website in India
- Copyrighting makes a public record of wonership: it informs people that your work is protected by copyright and that you are the owner of the copyright.
Your copyright claim is announced to the rest of the world when you register. This, among other things, assists those that want to licence your work in determining its status and locating you.
- Deposit Requirements are satisfied: The Copyright Act requires copyright owners to deposit two copies of their works with the Library of Congress within three months of publication, with few exceptions. The term "required deposit" refers to this situation. In most cases, when the copy of a work is sent to the Copyright Office with a registration application, it meets the library's own deposit rules.
Copyright registration is not essential to be registered, but if you want to protect your important ownership rights, you should get your copyright registered. The registration of copyright is the owner's legal proof. If someone illegally copied your work, you have the right to sue and punish them in court.